Tom Steyer is running for president. Here is everything we know about the candidate and how he stacks up against the competition
Who is Tom Steyer?
Latest occupation: Billionaire environmental activist and political megadonor.
Family individuals: Steyer is married to his spouse Kathryn Taylor, and with each and every difference they’ve 4 grown kids.
Hometown: New York, NY, however he existence in San Francisco, California.
Political instance: Democratic.
Past paintings alternatives: Previous hedge-fund investor.
Who is Tom Steyer’s direct stage of pageant for the nomination?
Dependent on a routine sequence of countrywide surveys we supply out, we will be able to resolve out who the opposite applicants competing in Steyer’s lane are, and who the wider fighters are inside the bash.
Steyer handiest no longer way back declared his front within the race and we’ve got concerned him in the newest editions of the survey. As it stands, we’ve insufficient knowledge to draw conclusions in regards to the viability of his candidacy and the rapid competition that exists inside the declared applicants.
INSIDER has been accomplishing a routine ballot thru SurveyMonkey Audience on a countrywide pattern to discover out how more than a few candidate’s constituencies overlap. We request individuals regardless of if they’re acquainted with a prospect, without reference to whether or not they can be contented or unsatisfied with that candidate as a nominee, and now and then we additionally query regardless of in the event that they really feel that exact particular person would win or do away within a normal election in opposition to President Donald Trump.
What are Tom Steyer’s coverage positions?
- On well being care:
- Steyer favors rising well-being care protection to extra Us voters, mentioning in 2018 he wants to see “Medicare for all who want it.” He’s additionally stated that “healthcare is proper.”
- He criticized pharmaceutical corporations that profited from the opioid crisis in his marketing campaign announcement video clip.
- On local weather regulate:
- Steyer is pledging to claim native local weather alter a national sudden emergency on his to begin with a day in place of work atmosphere, which differs from different applicants’ methods because it relies on the sudden emergency powers of the presidency.
- “On day one, we’d do a bunch of points including reentering [the Paris climate accords], freeze and reverse the Trump rulemaking, we would set up a cabinet-level place, place a local climate lens on all purchasing … and if Congress could not pass a Green New Deal, [we] would establish clean electrical power criteria,” Steyer defined of his native climate device. The marketing campaign has estimated it will worth $2.three trillion.
- The billionaire environmental activist is also calling for more potent world cooperation to struggle native local weather adjust.
- Steyer introduced an environmentally-concentrated political movement committee in 2013 that grew to turn out to be NextGen America, which used $96 million all through the 2016 election cycle to steerage native weather-helpful applicants, generally Democrats.
- On advertising marketing campaign finance:
- Steyer must overturn the “Citizens United” Supreme Courtroom option to decrease the effect of money in politics.
- In a press release pronouncing his candidacy, Steyer claimed, “The only way for us to address the urgent difficulties facing our place is to loosen the stranglehold that corporations have about our politicians and return political power to the American persons.”
- The billionaire liberal activist would additionally restructure the Federal Election Fee, characterizing it in his device as now “plagued by internal dysfunction” and “damaged.”
- On abortion:
- The Democratic megadonor needs to protect a girl’s proper to abortion, vowing in 2017 that his NextGen workforce would no longer “get the job done for one candidate who is not professional-option.”
- On weapons:
- Steyer is supportive of pushing for way more gun keep watch over regulations, obtaining termed on younger electorate after the 2018 Marjory Stoneman Douglas shooting in Fl to press “for gun reform now” in a Fb film.
- On felony justice reform:
- Steyer has criticized the expense of bail as staying needlessly top for individuals of color. He stated in a tweet: “Bail on this state is injustice perpetuated through greed and enthusiasm through oppression. Black, brown, and insufficient other people are being held as a result of they don’t have the right way to be unfastened. There is not any justice in our justice approach.”
- On overseas coverage:
- On taxes:
- The California billionaire is in the desire of raising taxes at the rich, despite the fact that it’s no longer transparent to what extent.
- Again in 2017, Steyer recognized as on Trump to raise his taxes at some point in the Republican pressure to head the tax regulation.
- “We have to have to make positive that we’re not in a society that is unbalanced and unfair and whereby the richest Us citizens are taking benefit of most people else,” Steyer stated on the time.
What are Tom Steyer’s political successes?
- Steyer lobbied then-President Barack Obama not to approve the Keystone XL oil pipeline, arguing it would be a way too hazardous to the herbal atmosphere. Obama shot down the venture, however, it been revived lower than Trump.
- He spent above $100 million to lend a hand Democratic applicants within the 2018 midterms, supporting the instance recapture the Residence. Steyer has additionally been forcefully advocating for Trump’s impeachment, even additional thrusting the dialogue onto the nationwide degree.
How a lot cash has Tom Steyer lifted?
He has no longer filed with the Federal Election Commission, however, Steyer will reportedly dedicate $100 million of his fortune to function.
Could Tom Steyer defeat Donald Trump?
INSIDER is not going to have enough polling knowledge out there, however, could have knowledge in this on the time we collect an appreciably sized base of respondents acquainted with him.
Read further of our tales on Tom Steyer:
Billionaire activist Tom Steyer simply jumped into the 2020 Democratic box following previously ruling out a presidential function
The billionaire most important the associated fee to question Trump is contacting on Democrats to get the ball rolling proper after the Mueller document
Billionaire Democratic donor Tom Steyer suggests 2020 presidential prospect Pete Buttigieg is the ‘actual deal’
Trump lashes out at Tom Steyer, calling him a ‘crazed & stumbling lunatic’ days after a suspicious bundle deal was once sent to the liberal billionaire
Kitely known as Kitely Parker, I am a writer and an industrialist by profession. My age is 33 years. My aim is to gather the attention of the targeted audience without being boring and unexciting. I like to utilize the free time in writing my views and thoughts for my book lovers or readers. My most preferred articles are usually about services and business,finance; however, I have written various topics in my articles. I do not have a specific genre. I get very creative when I have to express myself, I often sing, write or draw to portray my feelings. When it comes to my free time or you can say ‘ME-TIME’, I love to play with my cat, sleep an extra hour.